Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 3: Is Christianity a Straightjacket?

Keller writes:
"At first sight, then, a relationship with God seems inherently dehumanizing. Surely it will have to be "one way," God's way. God' the divine being, has all the power. I must adjust to God--there is no way that God could adjust to and serve me.

While this may be true in other forms of religion and belief in God, it is not true in Christianity. In the most radical way, God has adjusted to us--in his incarnation and atonement. In Jesus Christ he became a limited human being, vulnerable to suffering and death. On the cross, he submitted to our condition--as sinners--and died in our place to forgive us. In the most profound way, God has said to us, in Christ, 'I will adjust to you. I will change for you. I'll serve you thought it means (the ultimate) sacrifice for me.'"

No comments: